Monday, November 19, 2012

Where the Fiscal Cliff is Headed


Stocks are doing better this morning after a rough week. The major indexes are up a little over one percentage point which can largely be attributed to positive remarks made by the president regarding negotiations over the fiscal cliff. Investors were largely overreacting last week, so a return in the right direction is to be expected. I haven’t pulled out of any of my holdings because I have faith that the extraordinary incentive for both political parties to create a deal will in fact lead to a deal. I believe that the Democrats will be able to use their power to increase taxes on the wealthy, and the Republicans are likely to go along with it. While this will not have a positive effect, it is better than taxes being raised on everyone which would throw us into recession.

While I remain optimistic in the short run that stocks will recover their recent losses when a deal is made, I am more pessimistic than ever for the long term. I listened to the San Francisco Fed. president and CEO who had some astonishing things to say. He claimed the sluggish US recovery is not actually sluggish and that it was to be expected given the scope of the meltdown. In addition, he cited car and home sales as evidence of a rapidly speeding recovery, and he believes home sales will play a large role in our nation’s recovery. Personally, I think he’s an idiot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment